Thursday, April 26, 2012

Upgrading desktops video card - have questions!?

I am upgrading my new HP p6204y desktop with a new video card that supports HDMI. The monitor I purchased with it is an HD monitor and the quality would look so much better, I believe, if I upgrade. My PC currently has a 250w power supply so I know I will need to upgrade that as well.



Is there any brand suggestions for video cards and power supplies? I was looking on NewEgg and saw a ton of decent priced items, but I am clueless as to what I purchase. I don't want anything expensive - so if I can get something decent priced that will work, it will be perfect.|||First of all you need to know 'if' you need a new power supply.



In your case it really depends on the graphic card you are going to buy. If you are buying a low end graphics card (a lot which usually support HDMI today) then probably you are fine with a 250W power supply



Here is what I found out about your pc's power consumption:

Processor - 65 Watt

Mobo - around 62 Watts

HDD + DVD RW - around 40 Watts





So if you get a graphics cards like the latest DX11 ATI Radeon HD 5450 (my recommendation, got released today and costs around 60$, newegg link --->) then you might be fine but its is recommended that you get a 300W power supply to make sure your system is stable.



I recommend:

Power Supply around 30$ - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



ATI Radeon HD 5450 around 60$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



Personally I would buy a graphics card and plug it in and see if it runs fine with the current power supply, but I will not recommend that you do that.



When getting a Power Supply you should make sure you get a reputed brand! Brands like FSP Group, Antec, Aero Cool, Cooler Master, CORSAIR, Foxconn and Zalman are pretty reliable. Others you just have to search the internet for.





I had a system like yours a while ago and I upgraded to a mid-high end graphics card and still used my old 300W power supply and the system still runs fine. Hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment