Monday, April 16, 2012

Gateway desktop video card upgradeable?

I recently bought a gateway desktop. The processer can run 100% of pc games released in 12 months and so can my RAM. The slight problem is, my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330) is a decent graphics card but I just noticed it can only run 69% of games released in the last 12 months. Presumably this is at maximum resolution settings.



My question is, is it possible to upgrade this card?



Thnks|||Typically there is little to no restriction on video card upgrade from a pure compatibility perspective. As long as the card interface is the same (pcie x16, x4) the card will work.... except for:



1) check card length. Some cards are really long and can't fit in a case.



2) power hungry cards. Some fast cards require a 4 pin interface to supply supplemental power to the card. There are new cards that do not require supplemental power. I bought the card linked below and have no game issues. This card is very similar in performance to the nvidia 9600 GT which requires additional power.



If I was you, I'd keep the 330 for a while until the specs required for starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are released :)

No comments:

Post a Comment